10% off Babel back issues
As a thank you to our subscribers and Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest followers, we are offering 10% off Babel back issue packages until the end of June. When you purchase Babel 2013 (issues 2-5) or Babel 2014 (issues 6-9), you will receive a full year's worth of linguistic goodness in one go!
This offer applies to all Babel 2013 or 2014 subscription packages (print / digital / print + digital). Claim your discount by entering the promotional code BACKISSUES when prompted on our subscriptions page (if paying by invoice, simply quote this code on the invoice form).
Here is a taste of what you'll find in our 2013 and 2014 issues...
• Paul Baker on Polari, the lost-and-found language of gay men
• Anjali Pandey on overlooked female polyglots
• Helen Ringrow on the 'scientific' language of beauty adverts
• Jonathan Downie on whether computers will take over translation
• Posters of Proto-Indo-European languages, languages of the world, the IPA and places of articulation
• Linguistic Lexicon entries B-E - bilabials, code-switching, deviation, ellipsis and more
• Languages of the World on the past, present and future of Maltese, Dagara, Bamanan and Yolmo
• Lives in Language tributes to Stanley Ellis, John Sinclair, John J. Gumperz and Gotffried Wilhelm von Liebniz
• Annika Bourgogne on the complexities of raising children in two languages
• David Crystal on the original pronunciation of Shakespeare's works
• Shao Lan on a new way to learn Chinese characters
• Sarah Chevalier on multilingual language acquisition
• Posters of the Historical Thesaurus, Shakespeare's words, learning Chinese and endangered languages
• Linguistic Lexicon entries F-I - fricatives, grammaticalisation, homophones, idiolects and more
• Languages of the World on Dholuo, Early Modern English, Manx and Bislama
• Lives in Language features on Edward Sapir, Ferdinand de Saussure, J. R. R. Tolkein and Geoffrey Leech